[ Introduction |
Other Documents ]
This table will provide sample commands for you to use with Shamash's lists. The samples below use a few examples.
Send all of your commands to firstname.lastname@example.org
To send messages to the list, you send it to the list's address.
All of these examples are ficticious, so you must substitute the mailing list you are interested in, and your name in place of jewish-mailing and Rebecca Rosenblatt. Also substitute the appropriate information for Password, Current and New
- For the name of a mailing list the example jewish-mailing is used.
- Those samples needing the name of a person use Rebecca Rosenblatt.
- When you see Password, use the password that was given to you when you joined a list.
- Where it is necessary to change a current setting to a new one, the words Current and New are used.
Please note that many of these commands require you to be a member of the list before you can use the command. This may vary from list to list also.
Several Listproc commands have alternate names, which you may have been using. These alternate names are listed as "aliases" below, and are merely synonyms.
|How do I join and leave a list?|
|subscribe||Adds you to a list so that you receive mail from it. (alias: join) ||subscribe jewish-mailing Rebecca Rosenblatt|
|unsubscribe||Removes you from a list so that you do not receive mail from it.
|What lists exist at SHAMASH?|
|lists (all)||Gets a list of mailing lists which includes names and brief descriptions of all of SHAMASH's Lists.||lists|
|lists (searching for)||Gets a list of mailing lists which contain the search keyword(s) in their name or description. [see note 1]||lists local keyword|
|info||Returns useful information about a list.||info jewish-mailing|
|which||Shows you the names of all the lists to which you are subscribed on the SHAMASH List Server.||which|
|What options do I have for personal settings?|
|set||Shows you what options you have configured for a list. (alias: query) [see note 2]||set jewish-mailing|
|set - address||Resets your e-mail address. [see note
3]||set jewish-mailing address password New-address|
|set - conceal no||Ensures that your name appears on the list of subscribers for the list.||set jewish-mailing conceal no|
|set - conceal yes||Conceals the fact that you are subscribed to the list.||set jewish-mailing conceal yes|
|set - mail ack||Ensures that you receive copies of messages which you send to the list. [see note 4]||set jewish-mailing mail ack|
|set - mail digest||Allows you to receive a compilation of messages as one message.||set jewish-mailing mail digest|
|set - mail noack||Ensures that you do not receive copies of messages that you send to the list. [see note 4]||set jewish-mailing mail noack|
|set - mail postpone||Leaves you subscribed to the list, but halts the receipt of mail from it.||set jewish-mailing mail postpone|
|set - password||Permits you to reset your password. [see
note 5]||set jewish-mailing password
old-password new-password |
|purge||Removes you from all mailing lists on the SHAMASH List Server.||purge password|
|How can I search and retrive information from the archives? [see note 6]|
|index ||Returns a list of archives available for a given list.||index jewish-mailing|
|search ||Searches an archive for the keywords provided. [see note 7]||search jewish-mailing Israel & politics |
|get ||Allows you to retrieve a file from a list's archives.||get jewish-mailing filename |
|How can I get help from the listproc?|
|help (general)||Returns useful information about listproc commands.||help|
|help (a list of topics)||Returns a list of topics which have help information..||help topics|
|help (specific)||Returns information related to the particular command specified.||help set|
1. If you wish to use more than one search term, put a space between each one.
2. The Query command returns a list of personal settings just like the Set command does, but cannot be used with specific options.
3. You must send this command from the address under which you are currently subscribed. Once completed, the original address will no longer be valid; the address given in "new-address" will be used instead.
4. If you receive mail digests from the specified list, the use of this command will cause listproc to send the list's mail to you as individual messages rather than as digests.
5. First provide your current password, then your new password (remember-passwords are case-sensitive and must be typed exactly).
6. If the archives are password protected you have to add /password to the commands below
7. In order to convey the search terms you desire, you can use a single word or phrase, or a regular expression in which ^ (carat) negates whatever follows, | (vertical bar) and & (ampersand), respectively, provide logical OR and AND,
< and > (lesser and greater) are used to group parts of regular expressions, and. (period) matches any character (ie a wildcard) except the new-line character.
Others links to obtain more information
Complete List User Manual v 7.1 in RTF format (which can be read by all wordprocessors), directly from CREN.
Amended and updated from: Cornell University's Listproc Documentation created by Publications & Information Group Academic Technology Services (ATS)
Cornell Information Technologies
Updated: January 1997
Copyright © 1990-2014 Shamash: The Jewish Network. All rights reserved.