Soc.Culture.Jewish Newsgroups
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

[SCJ FAQ Logo]
< Q8.24 TOC Q8.26 >

Question 8.25:
What should a man do if his wife leaves him for another man?


In theory, if a wife has an affair the husband is obligated to get divorced. theory. In practice, we do not require the court to believe the evidence. However, in such a situation, lamentably, there is often no marriage to try to save. The wife left. The man ought to give her a get, a divorce writ. These can really only be handled by a beis din, a religious court.

Note: Since a decree by Rabbeinu Gershom in the 10th century, a man not only must give the writ, the wife must willingly accept it. If she does not, the marriage is not terminated. In which case, things can get pretty difficult. There are ways to deal with this situation, but again, it really requires a beis din.

The FAQ is a collection of documents that is an attempt to answer questions that are continually asked on the soc.culture.jewish family of newsgroups. It was written by cooperating laypeople from the various Judaic movements. You should not make any assumption as to accuracy and/or authoritativeness of the answers provided herein. In all cases, it is always best to consult a competent authority--your local rabbi is a good place to start.

[Got Questions?]Hopefully, the FAQ will provide the answer to your questions. If it doesn't, please drop Email to The FAQ maintainer will endeavor to direct your query to an appropriate individual that can answer it. If you would like to be part of the group to which the maintainer directs questions, please drop a note to the FAQ maintainer at

[Prev ?]
[Sect Index]
[Next ?]
[Prev Sect]
[Global Index]
[Next Sect]
  [Reading Lists]  

© (c) 1993-2002 Daniel P. Faigin <>